Actor Ryan Reynolds says that if a song from his holiday Apple TV+ offering “Spirited” were to earn an Academy Award nomination, he would feel obligated to “show up on that stage and embarrass myself.”
The song in question is titled “Good Afternoon” and is already reportedly on a “shortlist” shared by entertainment site Variety:
- “Lift Me Up” by Tems, Ludwig Göransson, Rihanna and Ryan Coogler (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”)
- “Naatu Naatu” by Kala Bhairava, M. M. Keeravani, Rahul Sipligunj (“RRR”)
- “Ciao Papa” by Alexandre Desplat, Roeban Katz and Guillermo del Toro (“Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio”)
- “Applause” by Diane Warren (“Tell it Like a Woman”)
- “Til You’re Home” by Rita Wilson (“A Man Called Otto”)
- “Hold My Hand” by Lady Gaga and Bloodpop (“Top Gun: Maverick”)
- “This is a Life” by David Byrne, Ryan Lott and Mitski (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
- “Carolina” by Taylor Swift (“Where the Crawdads Sing”)
- “Good Afternoon” by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (“Spirited”)
- “Stand Up” by Jazmine Sullivan and D’Mile (“Till”)
“Good Afternoon” writer Justin Paul told Variety that he’d love to see the song nominated, in part because he’d love to see actors Reynolds and Will Ferrell perform the number live at the Academy Awards.
“I need them on stage,” he said.
And Reynolds appears to be amenable to that, though he’s not expecting it. “I’m not thinking about that,” he said. “Look, if this song is nominated for an Academy Award, I would say that the least I can do is show up on that stage and embarrass myself.”
The one person likely to be disappointed — should “Spirited” get the nod and land Reynolds alongside Ferrell on the Oscars’ stage — is “X-Men” actor Hugh Jackman. Jackman, who often trades barbs with Reynolds — and is set to appear with him in the next “Deadpool” movie — shared his concerns about the prospect.
But don’t get me wrong … pic.twitter.com/8ymOYUOq9m
— Hugh Jackman (@RealHughJackman) January 4, 2023
In a video posted just after the new year, Jackman begged the Academy not to nominate Reynolds, claiming it would “make the next year of my life insufferable.”
Reynolds responded with a video of his own, first calling on the Academy to nominate Jackman for his role in “The Son” and then, after apparently pretending to shut the feed off, mumbled under his breath about him.
For Hugh-r consideration. pic.twitter.com/0qDASD4xDm
— Ryan Reynolds (@VancityReynolds) January 11, 2023
Originally Posted on: https://www.dailywire.com/news/the-least-i-can-do-ryan-reynolds-promises-to-show-up-and-embarrass-myself-if-spirited-tune-scores-oscar-nod
[By: Virginia Kruta