China Rejects WHO COVID Investigation Plan

China Rejects WHO COVID Investigation Plan

Zeng Yixin, Vice Minister of the National Health Commission and head of the Vaccine R&D speaks during a news conference on COVID-19 vaccination, in Beijing, China, December 19, 2020. (Tingshu Wang/Reuters)

A top Chinese official rejected the World Health Organization’s proposal for a second phase of an investigation into the origins of the coronavirus pandemic, in comments to reporters on Thursday.

“We cannot accept this kind of plan for origin-tracing,” Zeng Yixin, vice minister of China’s National Health Commission, said in comments translated by the Wall Street Journal. Parts of the proposal “did not respect common sense and violated science.”

WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus presented the proposal to member states last week, and called on China to cooperate with the investigation.

“As you know we will need cooperation from the Chinese side,” Tedros said at the time. “We need transparency to understand or know or find the origin of this virus.”

Send a tip to the news team at NR.

Zachary Evans is a news writer for National Review Online. He is a veteran of the Israeli Defense Forces and a trained violist.

Originally Posted on: https://www.nationalreview.com/news/china-rejects-who-plan-for-second-phase-of-covid-origin-probe/
[By: Zachary Evans

Written by:

6,690 Posts

View All Posts
Follow Me :
%d bloggers like this: